“I’ve been to loads of customer care courses, and was expecting more of the same. Yawn! However, the actors and facilitator made it a hugely enjoyable day. More surprisingly, I actually learnt something!”
Cabin Crew member at Easyjet
Who are the courses aimed at?
Anyone who works in a customer or client-facing role:
- Customer service providers (phone and face-to-face)
- Enforcement officials (police, environment services, parking wardens, probation workers, prison wardens)
What is forum theatre?
Forum theatre is an interactive theatre-form devised in the early 1970s by Augusto Boal. An audience is shown a short play in which the characters explore an issue. There is an opportunity for the audience to stop the play, ask questions and brief each of the actors about changes to their character’s behaviour. The play is then restarted, incorporating the audience’s suggestions. This allows the audience to view the impact of different behaviour on individuals.
- Consultation with managers and staff to tailor-make the course and create role-specific customer care scenarios for forum theatre
- Run half-day to one-day courses with an actor (three actors if the group is large)
- Consultation with managers and staff to embed learning and, if necessary, review practice
- Reflecting on who our customers are
- Considering the best practice in customer care
- Understanding the role of body language and tone of voice in communication
- Learning the difference between aggressive, submissive and assertive behaviours
- Understanding the importance of first impressions
- Developing active listening skills
- Practising scenarios using an actor
(Click here to see the full reference from EasyJet)
“Working with actors made the course come to life for me. I thoroughly enjoyed myself AND learnt something, which is rare!!”
Customer Care Provider: Bodleian Library
“Fun from beginning to end. I was dreading working with actors – but soon forgot to be worried and threw myself into it all.”
Customer Care Provider: Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea
“Milly and the actors helped put everyone at their ease with their good humour – a really interesting day.”
Easyjet: Ground Staff
“A good time to reflect. I’ve been doing the job for a very long time now, and didn’t think I needed a course like this. I learnt far more than I thought possible.”
Customer Care Provider: Oxford University
The following organisations have employed my services as in this area:
Oxford City Homes
I worked with all levels of this large council department, from electricians to directors, with a view to improving customer
Oxford City Council
Courses were run for staff working at the leisure centre, parks and other facilities.
Bodleian Library Facilities team
All levels of staff, from porters to directors, were catered for.
My work for this organisation was with cabin crew, ground staff and customer services, and encompassed learning and development.
Kensington and Chelsea (parking)
From parking wardens to directors, my company Creative Edge worked with all levels of this large council department (250 employees), looking at conflict resolution in customer care.