"Working in a mixed divisional group has been a wonderful supportive experience for me. Listening and ensuring I am being heard, learning from my actions and being accountable for them are strong skills that will benefit me throughout my
Senior Manager, Oxford University Press
What is Action Learning?
Action Learning (AL) is an accelerated learning tool that can be applied to any number of different workplace issues and challenges. It is an excellent way of providing peer support in a safe and confidential setting as people are led through a period of ambiguity and uncertainty.
In an AL “set”, members take turns to explore solutions to real problems/questions and decide upon the action they wish to take. The stages include:
- Listening closely to a real situation as an individual sees it
- Receiving contributions from others in the form of questions
- Reflecting on the discussion and deciding what action to take
- Reporting back on what happened when action was taken and our learning
- Reflecting on the problem-solving process and how well it is working
What are the benefits?
- Peer support and learning are encouraged
- Space is provided for reflection
- We learn to solve today’s problems and gain insight for tackling tomorrow’s
- Listening and questioning skills are enhanced
- We learn to encourage others to find their own solutions
- We see our mistakes as well as our successes as a tool for learning
- Consultancy skills, analytical questioning and problem-solving abilities are developed
- Cross-departmental and external exchange opportunities are provided